27 June 2002

qiaprep miniprep kit with extra cheese

feelin': much much better


20: the lab


playin': nicola matteis : set of ayres : mvt. 3 (on beethoven radio)


i'm the only one in the lab.  my gel is running and i have some time to kill.


so i am feeling 10 times better today.   the whole marc thing sorta dissolved into the larger death thing and that is slowly draining away.  haha i need to get out of the lab, i'm using lab metaphors.


um how was my day?  well i went in to resnet, then went with brandon to install a fan in a switch in amr2 (the temp inside there was 109 degrees at one point).  on the way in the golf cart i saw my buddy marc, the cty ra.    he waved.  then we went back and the whole crew went to rocky run for like an hour and a half (it was charles village appreciation day -- 20% off if you work in the 21218 ZIP code).  when i got back, there wasn't enough time for me to start anything new before my tour at 3, so i just left.


my tour was kinda dumb, i think i was a bit off my game.  but i was reading some pretty good evals of my tours so far.  that's good.  jenny, the blue key coordinator, was there at the vigil last night.  apparently the girl was her recruit when she was a senior here at jhu.  jenny is cool.  she's neat to work for, and she's kee-yute too.  so that's a plus.


after the tour i came back to the lab, where i had to mini-prep 16 freaking inocula.  that was (still is) a pain.  once i got that i mixed them with dye and started my gel.  it should be done in like 5 minutes.  then i'll take a picture of it and see if the sizes of nick's plasmids are right.  i'm going to be taking on my own project, one that's been transferred from two previous undergrads who had minimal success (but also gave a minimal effort).  so either marc has faith in me that i can finally get this thing off the ground... or he just wants to give me something to do and has me jogging in place.  i would tend to think the former, since he has expressed happiness with what i've done in the lab so far.... which is just about nothing.  oh well.  okay my gel is done.  time to get out of here, i've been here for like 5 hours already.

No comments: